Hi
March 19

Learning the art of Chess

This term we have been fortunate to have Chess expert Alan Goldsmith from Knights & Bytes teaching us all about the game of Chess. He has been teaching Grange kids and staff the skills of how to think logically and strategically  in order to capture the opponent’s King for many years.

Alan taught us about each piece and how to move each piece. We also needed to know how much they were worth if we captured one.

While we knew the information, winning a game is about careful thinking, planning and strategy! We found out it is important to think about the opponents next possible moves. We gave it a go.

Alan taught us to read the board as if it was a map and we could move pieces according to their position. for example Q to F4.

Did you know you need to do CPR in chess? That means if you hear that your King is in Check there are three things you should do.

• C – Capture Can you capture any piece? If you can, then do that and the King is safe, if not then…
  • – Protect Move a piece in to protect the King, if you can, then the King is safe, if not then…
  • – Run The King needs to flee to safety!

Chess is all about protecting the King.

But if you want to do some extra chess playing go to www.chesstempo.com that is a site that will teach you exciting strategies.

If you really want to get into more chess then checkout  www.knightsandbytes.com.au   Alan has a host of chess information and activities available for you to peruse.

Next term we are having a chess tournament to find the top players in year three. Will it be you?  Start practicing.

What have you learnt about Chess?

What would you still like to know?

Do you think playing chess is a useful activity? Why, Why not?

Tags: , , , ,

Posted March 19, 2017 by elleneisenkolb15 in category Maths/Numeracy, Team work

9 thoughts on “Learning the art of Chess

1. Anonymous

Ciao Ellen,
    i really like chess because it’s a good game and i think it must of been invented a long time ago so it looks like we learnt something new YAY! and i mostly like the characters of the game and how they move, but you got to play by the rules!it was good having a little chat.
    from Montana

Reply
    1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Howdy Montana,
      You are becoming an excellent blogger. I like the way you work on your thoughtful comments. Yes Chess was invented a long time ago. I thought it was in China but I could be wrong. It is a great game to think about solving problems. I think it is so challenging. While knowing how to move is one thing knowing how to move and win is really hard. I love that you don’t give up.
      Hey you did a good job at the interview. How did you feel about the three way talk?
      Warm wishes Ellen

Reply
  2. Anonymous

Dear Scarlett i was wondering if you wanted to have a playdate or sleepover one day but if your sleeping over you will need to sleep at my house and i’m not sure this weekend cause i’m having a bit of a busy one so i’ll check with my mum to see if i’m not busy and if you can check with your mum that would be great.
    Montana.

Reply
  3. Anonymous

Come sta Ellen
    So you asked me what I have learnt about chess well I think that chess is a wonderful game to play
    but sometimes I get a bit muddled up but I still like it.
    From Montana

Reply
  4. Anonymous

Hello Ellen
    I love playing chess it is a fun game to play I am not very good at chess. But I love it, Scarlett

Reply
    1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Howdy Scarlett,
      You know the only way to get good at something is to keep practicing. So does your mum play. Perhaps you can challenge her?
      Cheers Ellen

Reply
  5. Sabitri

Privet Cleo

I would love an sleepover and we have finally organised one. And I really appreciate that you think I am a magnificent friend and I think you are one too. Also i think you remember your number facts very well.

Warm Wishes Sabitri

Reply