Hi
February 7

2017 A New Year Begins

Greetings to all our new families for this, the beginning of the school year. Welcome to our blog too, we hope you find it useful to keep in touch with what is happening in our class and to provide people with supportive and thoughtful feedback.

There’ll be lots of routines and procedures to learn.  It’s early days we’ll get there.

How exciting to be starting in the primary, year three is going to be so much fun indeed. I will catch up with parents and caregivers at acquaintance night next week to clarify  a lot of things. Hope to see you there.

Collaboration

Our class has a mantra

“We work together, we think together, we act together. We collaborate”

This term we will be practicing collaboration and what this may look like, sound like, feel like and think like.

Today we stared by working in pairs on a maths task.

The task was  – To collect 3 digit numbers, sort them and publish our thinking.

Now while we were using our mathematical logic smarts, we were also practicing our skills in working together. Check us out.

For our first go, I reckon we have a positive start and I particularly liked the way they all respectfully shared their information.

I was also impressed by the variety of ways to sort information. Take a look at their posters.

Some things to think about, let us know your comments.

How do you feel about year three?

What are you looking forward to?

What might have you worried?

How do yo feel about working in teams?

Tags: , , ,

Posted February 7, 2017 by elleneisenkolb15 in category Maths/Numeracy, Team work

40 thoughts on “2017 A New Year Begins

1. Phoebe

Hodz vodz ellen
    I love having you as a teacher I love all the fun activities we do!! I particularly love the spelling activities
    Your art is AMAZING and I really want to do some more so can we?? Thank you Phoebe🙈

Reply
    1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Hola Phoebe,
      How nice of you to say such things, and I am glad you are enjoying the learning activities. Art is enjoyable indeed and I am sure we will get to do more. What type do you prefer 2D or 3D? I always like having art lessons on Friday so if we can get all our work done that’s a good time.

I like the way you use the blog too. I think we need to put another post on. What do you think we should share? Let me know.
      Regards Ellen

Reply
  2. Margo

Labadiena Ellen,l really like haveing you as my teacher at grange primary school. l really like year 3 because we get to bring are iPads to school. And l also like year 3 because we do losts of hard things and fun things.

Thank you Margo

Reply
    1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Hello Margo,
      Thank you for your kind words that was very thoughtful. I’m glad you are enjoying year three. It must be strange for you as you have come fro another school. I can see you have made a few friends that is great. They will help you settle in. Yes I think once we get things arranged we will start using the iPads. I will certainly keep giving you challenging things to do and I’m sure they will be fun.
      Regards Ellen

Reply
    1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Greetings Sabitri,
      Thank you for your kind comments. I’m glad you are enjoying the literacy activities. I think you have very strong word smart skills and it is good to see you want to make them stronger. I trust you enjoyed your weekend. What things did you and your family get up to? My poor mother had a Terrible toothache, so I had to take her to the dentist. Her tooth was so bad the dentist had to pull it out…ouch! I’ve been busy writing the newsletter. You should show your family. See you at school.
      cheers Ellen

Reply
    1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Greetings Lucy,
      Are you tired of year three already? I think the year four teachers may want you to do a little more work before you move in don’t you? How about you dazzle me with brilliance first.
      Warm regards Ellen

Reply
        1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Hello Lucy,
          I am glad you are not, I thought you were kidding. To be honest I don’t look at emojis that closely so I did indeed miss it. Perhaps I do need to pay closer attention. But I am a hundred no twenty or so so please forgive me. Enjoy the weekend.
          Warm wishes Ellen 🤔

Reply
  3. Cleo

Hi Ellen I love what things you do in the class. I really wanted to be in your class so I am very happy. Do you like space? Because I do and I want to learn about space during the year if we could please! I think you are a very good teacher because all the things that you do I really like. I am loving the class!
    Kind regards Cleo

Reply
    1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Greetings Cleo,
      I am happy to hear you are feeling good about things so far. I think we have all got off to a great start. I am really pleased that everyone is having a go at working in our learning teams.
      Yes we will do space this year I am not sure when though traditionally I do it in term three but I don’t think that will work this year. We shall see. Now I am happy that they put you in my class too, so we are both happy about the decision. Yes I think we will have a great year. Can you believe we are already getting into week four?
      I’m going to mark your fabulous work now.
      Regards Ellen

Reply
  4. Anonymous

hi ellen how are you, i have been waiting so long to message you and i finnaly have. also i’m hoping i will bring my spelling book tomorrow. and i really would like to do some art because i love art okay well that’s it for today goodbye ellen.

Reply
    1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Hello anonymous, I am very well thank you. Did you forget to put your name on this Montana? I hope it is you I got a clue from the spelling book comment. Well of course we do art you had some to do today, anytime we can draw pictures time to get arty. I believe we may do some outstanding book covers Friday.
      Can you wait that long?
      Cheers Ellen

Reply
  5. Phoebe

Dear Ellen
    My grandma (Lala) bought me a Venus fly trap and that is the plant we were talking about the other day! It’s the one that if a fly goes in it, it will disappear I will bring it in tomorrow!! Can we learn more about living things and non living things? Thanks! From Phoebe

Reply
    1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Hola Phoebe,
      Wow how great is your grandma. I think it will be okay for you to bring it in for a little while. I do get worried because the traps are meant to be for insects and often people tease the plant by poking it. Those carnivorous plants rely on the insect for food. So if no one pokes it Im sure it will be fine. Has yours caught a bug yet?
      We will certainly be continuing with our topic each week I do hope everyone remembers to complete their project.
      See you tomorrow
      Cheers Ellen

Reply
      1. Phoebe

Dear Ellen If you want I can put it in a container so no one pokes it? No mine hasn’t cought an insect yet! Are we doing science tomorrow? Sincerely Phoebe

Reply
      2. Pho

Dear Ellen
        If you want I could put it in a container so that no one pokes it! I will probably bing it in today!! Are we doing art today?? From Phoebe

Reply
        1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Hi Phoebe,
          Well now that Fang is here, we have to keep it healthy. It is such and interesting plant it fascinates me in the way it does indeed catch things. How are you at catching flies and insects?
          I am going to mark the MI work so I get to check out your art there. Do you think I will be impressed?
          Regards Ellen

Reply
  6. Cleo

Thanks Sophie,
    You are the best too!
    What do you like about grade 3 cause I like everything!
    And I like Ellen, she is really good!
    Cleo

Reply
    1. Phoebe

Hey cleo you are a great friend! I like Ellen she’s really good! What are you looking forward to this week I’m looking forward to beat up! From Phoebe

Reply
  7. Phoebe

Dear Elllen
    I like your art you do I also like science I like lots of other things I just can’t name them all! Can we please do some more of both of them science and art? Thanks Phoebe!

Reply
    1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Howdy Phoebe,
      How nice to know that you are a science and art smart girl. Of course you can do the two together any time you have to do art work take a sciece topic and when you have to do a picture use you art skills . Naturally you’ll use you very keen expert observation skills. Di you know that some of the best natural looking art has been completed by scientists. i love the bird and plant drawings. What part of science do you like?
      Warm regards Ellen

Reply
  8. Ellen

Dear class,
    I was very impressed by the way you all completed your science covers I am also getting excited about seeing your science projects.
    What topics in science do you want t learn about? I really like space so I think we may just study that.
    sincerely yours Ellen

Reply
  9. Anonymous

Hi Ellen could we do some more writing because I think it is great.
    thank you for my pen trial. I hope I get my pen licence soon!

Reply
    1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Greetings Cleo,
      Congratulations on your trial, I agree keep using that pen expertly and a license will have your name on it! Mind you hoping is not the same as putting in the effort.
      Well We do have to learn two types of genre before the NaP LAN test so yes we will be getting onto that . I did like you writing today for the reading notes…. see you are writing heaps. Do you have a favourite genre? Can’t wait to read your exciting work.
      Cheers Ellen

Reply
    1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Hello Rocco, great to read that you are liking grade three. What are you looking forward to?
      Regards Ellen

Reply
    1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Greetings Lucy,
      Nice to read a note from you. Now this is not quite like texting, you can write a detailed letter. Here you get to show great literacy and writing skills. So tell me what you like about our blog?
      Warm wishes Ellen

Reply
        1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Hello Lucy,
          I’m glad you approve of it. I’m sure you’ll get the hang of thoughtful commenting soon. Your typing skills will strengthen too.
          Cheers Ellen

Reply
  10. Anonymous

Dear Ellen I like working in groups because we get to know each other better!!! I like art,science and maths they are really fun!! from PHOEBE!!!!!

Reply
    1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Good afternoon Phoebe,
      Another note from you, you have been busy. I’m glad you enjoy the teams, like groups too. I reckon people help each other more this way. learning can be hard so to have help and reminding is always better. I think together we learn more. Which job do you like best? Regards Ellen

Reply
  11. Natalie

dear ellen I agree we should do different things could we do so more science with the pictures and stuff and later next week can we please do some writing. I love when we do read to self. I really hope we can do some more writing

FROM NATALIE!!!!!!!!

Reply
    1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Hello Natalie,
      You are certainly an excited blogger, we’ll have to get you to help the others next week. Of course we will do some more science, in fact I have a great home science project for you to do, I think you’ll find it interesting.
      I’m sure we’ll do more writing as we get into all our subject areas. It’s been a busy week setting up things and hard when everyone is exhausted because of the heat. Let’s hope next week will be better as we haven’t got fitness into routine yet. It will take time for all the things I have planned. are your parents coming to acquaintance night?
      I’ve just come home from Bootcamp, then I will do my homework! Enjoy your weekend.
      Cheers Ellen

Reply
  12. Natalie

Dear Ellen this is Natalie I LOVE when we do art and write you are the perfect teacher for me. could we maybe make some more posters? from Natalie Howard

Reply
    1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Greetings Natalie,
      Congratulations, you are the first to comment on the Blog in our class this year, good on you for giving it a go.
      I’m glad you like art, I do too. I think we will do a bit more, although it might not always be posters. I think it’s a good idea to learn to do lots of different things. Perhaps there are some things you have in mind. Let me know.
      I have just finished typing up the poems so I hope we can put the posters and poems on display. I think they’ll look stunning.
      Warm wishes Ellen.

Reply