Hi
July 26

In Term Two we were “Heating up!”

Science in term two was based on the chemistry of heating things up and how objects and material changed with heat.

We had some starter discussions on how livings things might keep warm.Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 6.33.58 PM

This got us thinking of how we could keep warm, if we were very cold.

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 6.34.18 PM

After a short discussion on heat sources, areas that produce warmth or heat, we began looking for these sources of heat in our classroom. I added some extra ones for comparisons.

In our search we needed to decide on a heat rating was the object warm, hot or very hot. We shared our investigations and recordings to see if our team mates agreed or disagreed.

We learned that heat (thermal energy) can be classified according to its form and there are three to know and understand.

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 6.24.20 PM

Our next challenge was to put some understandings into action. We really enjoyed our investigation using metal spoons. In teams we used a metal spoon to heat up at our choice of six different heat sources. Areas to be accessed included – urn/kettle, cups of hot water, hair dryer, candle, white board/other electrical objects, carpet, body heat, hot water bottle. We shared roles for heating and timing and to make our investigations fair, we used a stop watch to time the duration at exactly two minutes. That way we could compare the different types of heat. Warnings were given as science investigations can be somewhat dangerous, particularly given we were using a flame, metal can get very hot!

This investigation gave us lots to think about how heat might travel or transfer into or up objects. When could that be a good thing? Who would need this to happen? Why? When do we not want heat to transfer quickly or at all? Do we know of any situation where they have seen this?

We also challenged ourselves to decide what type of heat source it was chemical, kinetic or electrical.

Recording our observations gave us a chance to sharpen our science line drawing skills.

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 7.23.21 PM

During this activity a few of our classmates did get too excited and forgot the warnings, burning themselves on very hot metal spoons. It seemed appropriate that we look at warning signs and posters checking to see what essential information we may need to include if we were to warn people of, very hot sand, hot cup of tea or a hot frying pan. Working with a partner we used our negotiating skills to plan and display our thinking.

We got a chance to explain the message behind our posters before we placed them on display.

Our final investigation made us think carefully about variables. We wanted to know what would affect the heat of a spoon in a cup of hot water.

I thought we showed critical scientific thinking as we suggested that these things would affect the temperature :-

• type of material spoon was made out of
  • the time the spoon was left in the water
  • the temperature of the water
  • the temperature of the spoon
  • the size of the spoon

Teams worked together to plan our investigation.

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 6.27.10 PM

Essentially we needed this information. We were able to use a wooden, plastic and metal spoon to compare results.

Unfortunately Ellen was so busy making sure we didn’t have any injuries this time, so she wasn’t able to visually record our work.

However it was interesting when we completed our work to find that most of our predictions were accurate. One team took a very long time to complete their plan and by that time the hot water had cooled down quite a bit. Time did play an important role in the hotness of the spoons, however so did the material that the spoon was made of.

This gave us lots to think about when using objects near heat. Many students could see connections to tools used in their families kitchens. Wooden spoons are very useful when stirring hot food. Perhaps plastic tools could be used too. Some discussed how they have metal tools but handles are wooden, that made sense given our new understandings.

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 8.15.19 PM

Our last opportunity to put our new learning into action was to identify heat sources in a picture. It was amazing how many were in one little scene from a family’s kitchen and outdoor area.

What did you enjoy most about the Heating up unit?

What questions do you still have about heat?

How have you used your new knowledge on heat lately?

How did you go locating all the heat sources?

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Posted July 26, 2016 by elleneisenkolb15 in category Literacy, Maths/Numeracy, Science, Team work, Technology

5 thoughts on “In Term Two we were “Heating up!”

1. Pria

Konichiwa Ellen,
    I still have a couple of questions to ask about heating up, my first question is how does the sun get it’s heat? My second question is, is lightning warm? Question number three is a comment and the comment is that your the best teacher ever!
    Cheers, Pria

Reply
    1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Hola Pria,
      Why thank you for your lovely compliment Pria, you will have many more teachers after me so I’ll keep that honour for a little while! Well I could start answering you Sun questions but that would take the joy out of your discovery later this term. But I’ll give you a hint, it has to do with the two main gases in the sun. Yes lightning is extremely hot it is a violent electrical explosion it gets to 30,000 kelvins the Sun’s surface is only 6,000 kelvins, so you don’t want to get hit by lightning. Sounds like you are ready to learn some more science. Why not start reading the space books so you have a head start when I get back.
      Happy reading
      Love Ellen

Reply
  2. wil

Dear Zahara
    I liked science heating up because I liked timing for 2 min and I got into it by senjia
    regards Zahara

From Wil

Reply
  3. BELLA v

Dear Ellen,
    How are you?What did i enjoy well it was defiantly all fun but the fun bit was doing our work in our book.Because the last time i looked though my maths book i saw a whole heap of heating up pages.But now lets see if space is fun.Now i don’t have any questions that i remember sorry.My knowledge on heat is good i remember some thing.

Happy blogging bella v

Reply
    1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Howdy Bella,
      Thank you for enquiring about my health. I am good although I have a few sore muscles from boxing. What were heating up pages doing in your maths book? You didn’t get muddled did you? I’m sure you will also love the space unit science is quite fun don’t you think? Theres so much to learn. One more thing remember to have a capital for I.
      Cheers Ellen

Reply