Hi
August 30

The Aliens are departing, but cartoonists are moving in.

Last term, one of our favourite art activities was to create an alien from our name. As we were putting our Book Week Fire Paintings and book reviews on display, Ellen took down our previous art work.

We had been investigating symmetry in maths and of course as we were also learning about space last term in science, it made sense back then to create some aliens. To make them, Ellen wrote our names in pencil using old fashioned loopy writing, we traced them on a folded piece of cartridge paper. Then we had fun turning them into strange creatures. We gave them an appropriate name and chose a coloured background to make them stand out.

What do you think?

It will be sad to see them go as they looked great guarding the walls of our corridor.

Did you try to make an alien out of your family member’s names?

Can you remember how to make them?

Budding Cartoonists are stretching their skills

For the last few Friday art lessons we have been learning the skills of cartooning, paying particular attention to drawing faces. We have learnt that there is a lot of maths involved in art, there are a lot of fractions to remember indeed. We need to divide our oval shape into quarters and then find the half way points to get positions for facial features. It has been fun. We have a special drawing pad that we can use to develop our drawing skills. Now that we are almost confident in faces we are experimenting with expressions. Stay tuned for some of our work right now we are busy learning…..

DSC08424 DSC08425 DSC08426 DSC08427 DSC08428

We have been careful not to press too hard and to tickle the page with our pencil. While we draw Ellen plays some classical music. At the moment we are listening to Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart an Austrian composer who was born in 1756. The music is creative and inspiring.  He composed his first symphony at the age of eight. We were impressed when we heard that.170px-Wolfgang-amadeus-mozart_1

This painting of Mozart was painted posthumously (after his death) by Barbara Krafft  1819

Mozart is a talented artist indeed and perhaps some of his genius may find its way to us even after all those years!

Tags: , , ,

Posted August 30, 2015 by elleneisenkolb15 in category Arts, Maths/Numeracy, Science

15 thoughts on “The Aliens are departing, but cartoonists are moving in.

1. Alicia

Hi Kate
    I really like your alien called Sproutinga because it has lots of things coming out of it. I’m very proud of mine Kate are you pro of yours? I found the most challenging bit was tracing what Ellen had writen what did you find most challenging ?

Kind Regards
    Alicia

Reply
  2. Indi

dobra den Alicia!

I love your alien! Its so CUTE!;-) I would have loved to make one,but I was not here 🙁
    what was your favourite part of making it!

kind regards Indi 😉

Reply
    1. Alicia

Howdy Indi
      Thank you for your complement I’m sure if you were here your alien would be just as good. I can’t decide beetween two things naming my alien and making my alien. If you were here what would you call yours?

Kind Regards
      Alicia

Reply
  3. ava

Good evening Ellen,

I love doing cartooning,
    especially when listening to Mozart`s
    music.

Ellen why did you start cartooning and
    why?

kind regards
    Ava

Reply
    1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Good morning Ava,
      I’m glad you enjoy doing the characters in cartooning. Why did I get you to do this? That is a good question. Well I guess sometimes students find it difficult to create what is in their heads because they don’t know how to draw faces or emotions. I know when I ask you to show your thinking through art, kids want to add lots of people and get frustrated when things don’t always go the way they planned. Knowing some of the techniques or drawing faces and expressions in cartooning can sometimes help your other art work.The good thing about drawing is that we all do things differently and use a variety of colours so when our work goes on display it always looks fabulous, don’t you think?
      Now for art this week I reckon you’ll be able to use some of the techniques from cartooning because we are doing some unfortunate portraits….. you can guess who! Will there be enough characters? Mozart is delightful, what do you think of Vivaldi’s style?
      See you in a little while.

Warm wishes
      Ellen

Reply
    1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Hello Tia I think you already are one, how many hands do you have? That’s a lot of comments today, or is there more than one Tia in the world. Nah, you have been busy indeed.
      Phew Ive finally finished marking the reading reflections. Time to get up and do some boot camp.
      Cheers Ellen

Reply
      1. Tia

Hi Ellen
        I am faerly sour that I’m not an alien but sometimes I might act like I’m an alien. Sometimes you have 25 aliens in the class don’t you think?

Reply
        1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

Greetings oh Alien one,
          I think at times I do indeed have twenty five alien,s well sometimes they work like they come from other planets and sometimes their work is out of this world it’s so fantastic. So yes I do feel that. Did you know my parents were classified as aliens?
          Cheers Ellen

Reply
          1. Ricardo

Hi ellen I hop there no Aliens at earth but I’am shor their are Aliens OUT OF SPACE from Ricardo

4. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

I’m glad you did Kate it was a fun task. Of course aliens are real, I teach 25 of them! Alien means belonging to a foreign country or strange unfamiliar and sometimes extraterrestrial. Which one do you mean? I’m thinking as we did space work you mean the kind from space. Well I don’t believe in the movie type aliens even though I love science fiction, I am clever enough to know it’s all make believe. But I do believe that there is life beyond Earth. Exactly what, we are yet to discover. Perhaps you will become a scientist and study what lies beyond our Solar System and then you can tell me.
    Ellen

Reply