Hi
August 11

Recalling Number Facts

Chalkboard

A major area of maths for year three is number. There is so much in number that students need to be able to show me they understand and can apply the concepts in different situations. I have been showing the class the expectations that need to be covered, as it allows them to see what they need to be able to do.

One part of number is to be able to recall number facts. We are starting with recalling subtraction and addition to ten. So this term we are having an audit and children are able to come to me when they believe they can recall them.

What does being able to recall mean? It means being able to answer something you already know but it feels very fast.

Student

What are subtraction and addition facts? The facts for 3 are

3+0= 3        3-0=3

0+3=3         3-3=0

1+2=3          3-2=1

2+1=3          3-1=2

Students need to know these facts for numbers 1 through 10. At the moment all the students have a table that they can record when they show me evidence which they can update in their Maths Journals..

b0220

So how will you know you have learnt each set of facts and want to show me evidence?

knowyourfacts

To your brain it will feel like

• It’s fast
  • No-one can trick you
  • You can do them anywhere anytime

Learning number facts one through ten has a flow on effect for knowing larger number facts, so it’s important that they get these to be automatic. Of course we then need to know multiplication and division which we’ll move on to later. Keep practicing anytime you can .

la_writing

What do you do to learn your facts?

Which strategy do you prefer to use to learn them and to show me?

Tags: , , ,

Posted August 11, 2015 by elleneisenkolb15 in category Maths/Numeracy, Team work

2 thoughts on “Recalling Number Facts

1. Tia

I use a peace of paper so I can see what I’m doing and if iv made a mistake. I love doing maths it is so fun to do sums and things like that.

From Tia

Reply
    1. elleneisenkolb15 (Post author)

I’m a visual learner too I need to see things sometimes I can see things in my head but I prefer to write like you do. I know you love maths you clever mathematician you. Keep up that attitude and you’ll go places Tia.
      Love Ellen

Reply